Spice up this classic favorite with this fantastic recipe!
Recipe adapted from Melissa’s: The Freshest Ideas in Produce and Chef Tom Fraker.
- 1 16-ounce box cavatappi or macaroni pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (½ cup)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup crema or crème fraîche
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups pre-shredded cheddar-Jack cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups pre-shredded Gouda cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 4 fresh Hatch Chile peppers, charred, peeled, stems and seeds removed, finely diced
- ¾ cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain. Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon oil to keep pasta from sticking.
Set EGG for indirect cooking (with convEGGtor) at 350°F/177°C.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until a smooth paste is formed, about 3 minutes. Whisk in milk, crema, and nutmeg until smooth; whisk in cheeses until completely melted. Whisk in 1 teaspoon paprika; whisk in salt and white pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
Add pasta and Hatch Chile to cheese mixture; toss together. Pour evenly a Rectangular Drip Pan.
In a bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining ½ teaspoon paprika, and breadcrumbs; stir in salt to taste.
Sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture.
Bake in EGG until bubbly and lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes. Serve.
Serves: 12 (1¼ cups)
Find this recipe and more on Big Green Egg